Thank you for using My Fave Places!
Our mission is to help you discover, save and share places you love.
We wrote this policy to help you understand what information we collect, why we collect it, how we use it and what choices you have about it. We’ve always been passionate about privacy, long before it became cool and will continue to do so.
What Personal Information Does My Fave Places Collect?
Website: when you visit My Fave Places website you will browse anonymously unless you have requested a newsletter, posted a comment on the web site or selected to contact us. For example:
- Newsletter subscription - If you would like to receive alerts such as email newsletters from My Fave Places, we ask for your name and email address so we can send you the updates.
- Contact Us - If you email us through the “Contact”, "What are yours?", "Get in touch!" or "Want to Contribute?" links on this site, we ask you for information such as your name and email address so we can respond to your questions and comments. You may choose to provide additional contact information as well.
- Commenting on a post: If you comment on a post we ask for your name, email and comment.
- SMS Messaging: If you have opted in to receive promotional SMS, we will receive your phone number. We will ask for your first name as well which is optional to provide.
Mobile app: if you create an account on My Fave Places mobile app, we may store and use your first and last name, email address, home location of city or town, and other information you may provide with your account, such as your gender, short bio and a personalized display name. Your display name, city/town location as well as any photo you submit through the registration process, will be publicly displayed as part of your account profile. There is an option in the Profile section to add a short bio that will be displayed publicly.
Mobile app users will be sent a confirmation email to subscribe to MFP marketing newsletters as part of the mobile app product offering. We will send you marketing materials by email, text or push notification, depending on your account or operating system settings. Each time we send you marketing materials, in each message we will provide instructions how to unsubscribe to future communications from that type of marketing.
We may from time to time, email or through push notifications if there are important company or product updates.
Children under 13
None of the Services are permitted to be used by individuals who are under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect any Data from children under 13. If you are based in the European Economic Area (EEA) you may only use Service if you are over the age at which you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country or if verifiable parental consent for your use of Service has been provided to us. If you notice or suspect that a user is under 13, please contact us immediately at email@example.com
How we use the information collected
We will use the information to:
- Personalize the content you receive and provide you with tailored content that may be of interest to you;
- Notify you about changes to our Services;
- Conduct periodic surveys to improve the offering;
- Respond to your questions, comments and provide you with user support;
- Enforce our terms, conditions and policies; or
- Communicate with you via email and/or in-app mobile messaging.
As it is in our legitimate interests to be responsive to you and to ensure the proper functioning of our products and organization, we may use your information to:
- Identify you when you use the Service;
- Improve the Platform and to ensure content from the Platform is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device;
- Administer the Service and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- Allow you to participate in interactive features of the Service, when you choose to do so;
- Personalize the content you receive;
- Keep the Service safe and secure;
- Develop our Service and conduct product development;
- Measure and understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you and others;
- Make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of the Platform about goods or services that may interest you or them;
- Make recommendations on places to visit, based on places other subscribers have favorited.
- Suggest other people who have similar interests.
- Provide you – or permit selected third parties to provide you – with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. Where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
- It is in our legitimate interests to promote the Service. It is also fundamental to the nature of the Service we provide. By agreeing to comply with this policy you agree that we may use information that you give to us, such as user-generated content and video content that you may choose to broadcast on our Service, as part of our advertising and marketing campaigns to promote the Service.
How you use it: Contacts/Connections/Followers
- Invite your friends to join the Service by providing us with their contact information, or by allowing us to access your contacts from your mobile device, or third-party sites to select which friends you want to invite.
- If you allow us to access your contacts on your mobile device, we may transmit that information to My Fave Places long enough to process your connection invitations.
- For example, if you sign up to the mobile app Service using a Facebook account, we can help your Facebook friends find you on My Fave Places when they first sign up for the Service.
- My Fave Places mobile app users can search for your account on using the name you entered on your profile page of the app.
Can I hide my user profile from public view to protect my privacy?
No. My Fave Places’ people, lists and notes are intended for public consumption and works best when real people share and trust each other’s recommendations. However, we think it’s important to keep your personal account information private. You can create a personalized user name that is displayed and we do not reveal your email or phone number. You can also keep as many or as few of your favorite places private from others. We have steps on how to do that listed in our help section of the app.
The Service provides users the opportunity to interact and post content through various social media sites.
Your interactions with such tools, and any information you provide in connection with these interactions are publicly viewable outside of the Website domain.
- For example: you may choose to like an image or article posted on one of these services or to like share an article on MyFavePlaces.com to your social media connections.
If you post any Comments or User Content on the My Fave Places website, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you choose to provide there may be read, collected, or used by other users of the Website, as well as other third parties. We are not responsible for the information you choose to submit in these forums. We cannot guarantee that other users have not made copies of and/or will not use such information outside of the Website. We are not responsible for information you choose to post in this forum.
App sharing to Third Party Services (i.e., Twitter & Facebook)
The My Fave Places app gives you the option of sharing and some of your activity to your Twitter and/or Facebook accounts and other social networking services. This means when you may share a favorite place to Twitter or Facebook (e.g. checking in), this information and will be viewable by the communities on those services (and in the case of Twitter, may be discoverable by search engines).
As is true of most Services, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer Services, to track users' movements around Services and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We do not link this automatically-collected data to personally identifiable information.
The Services deal with location, so in order to work, the Services need to know your location. Whenever you open and use/interact with our app on your mobile device or go to one of our Sites, we use the location information from your mobile device or browser (e.g., latitude and longitude) to tailor the Services experience to your current location (i.e., we'll show you a list of nearby locations and tips). This information is NOT shared with third parties. We use various technologies to determine location, such as location services of the applicable operating system or browser and sensor data from your device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi- access points and cell towers. Your real-time location is not shared on the app or web.
You can opt in to this in your device operating system location settings. If you opt out, the mobile service will not be able to function fully.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our site are visited and by how many people.
If you are an anonymous visitor, the information we collect is not capable of personally identifying you.
We also use third party advertisements to support our site. Some of these advertisers may use technology such as cookies and web beacons when they advertise on our site, which will also send these advertisers (such as Google through the Google AdSense program) information including your IP address, your ISP, the browser you used to visit our site, and in some cases, whether you have Flash installed. This is generally used for geotargeting purposes (showing New York real estate ads to someone in New York, for example) or showing certain ads based on specific sites visited (such as showing cooking ads to someone who frequents cooking sites).
You can choose to disable or selectively turn off our cookies or third-party cookies in your browser settings, or by managing preferences in programs security. However, this can affect how you are able to interact with our site as well as other websites. This could include the inability to login to services or programs, such as logging into forums or accounts.
- Identify you across different browser sessions. This means if you log into the mobile app service, we'll remember that you're you and you won't need to enter your login details each time you open the My Fave Places mobile app. You can always log out at the end of a session.
Third Party Web Site Destinations
Information We Share
We do not sell or otherwise disclose personal information about our app or web site visitors, except as described here. We may share information provided by our visitors to this site with service providers we have retained to perform services on our behalf. These service providers are restricted from using or disclosing the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. In addition, we may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
We take security seriously and follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or via mobile device, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
California Residents: Your California Privacy Rights
My Fave Places does not disclose your personal information to third parties for the purpose of directly marketing their services to you unless you first agree to such disclosure. If you have any questions regarding this policy, you may contact us at the address listed above.
My Fave Places is a worldwide service. Our mobile app and all of our data, including your data, are hosted on servers in the United States. By using our products or services, you authorize us to transfer, process and store your information outside your home country, in the United States, for the purposes described in this policy. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in such countries may not be equivalent to those of your home country.
How do I delete my data?
You can delete individual places you have saved through the app, by swiping on a place and selecting ‘Delete’. Deletion of your account may not be immediate. Residual copies of your personally identifiable information or posts may remain on backup media for a short period of time thereafter. Additionally, we may store certain data that is does not directly identify you, in our internal systems.
If you have questions about accessing, updating, or deleting your Account, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, we will not be able to restore your account once it has been deleted.
What if I Have Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy or anything else, please email us at email@example.com
Last updated: May 24, 2018